EARLY PARKERSBURG WV HISTORY & INDUSTRIAL & COMMERCIAL BUSINESSES  - mackey's antique clock repair parkersburg wv

PARKERSBURG WV HISTORY & INDUSTRIAL & COMMERCIAL BUSINESSES

 PARKERSBURG WV 1935

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

LINKS TO OVER 1000 OLD PARKERSBURG & WOOD & COUNTY WV PICTURES

 

Follow us on Facebook  

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

  http://twitter.com/#!/mackeysclocks

A Little History of Early Parkersburg  

Parkersburg was originally named Newport when it was laid out in the late 1700s. in 1783 Alexander Parker purchased land that Parkersburg now stands on for $50 A section of the land in the town was laid out over land granted to Alexander Parker. The title conflicts between Parker and the city planners of Newport were settled in 1809 in favor of Alexander Parker's heirs. The town was renamed Parkersburg in 1810. It was chartered by the Virginia general assembly  in 1820. It was rechartered as a city in 1860

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GENERAL PORCELAIN CO. 1924

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Plant of Unequalled capacity in the Manufacturing of dry and wet process Porcelain Insulators. Porcelain Products, Inc

HISTORY A. B. CHANCE PARKERSBURG WV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Parkersburg Iron & Steel Plant. History of  PARKERSBURG IRON & STEEL COMPANY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Largest plant in the world manufacturing derricks and other oil field equipment. the Parkersburg Rig & Reel Co. Parkersburg Plant. Becoming Parmac inc. a Subsidiary of Maloney Crawford Tank Corp. in 1966 

PARKERSBURG RIG & REEL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This was Written in 1935 / The Largest Shovel plant in the world. Ames Baldwin Wyoming Co. an out growth of the original factory, in North Easton, Mass. where the first Genuine O. Ames Shovels were Made 161 years a go. closed on September 14 2005

 HISTORY OF AMES BALDWIN WYOMING CO PARKERSBURG PLANTS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Parkersburg Silk Mills Factory 1935

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Winding Dept. at the Silk Mill in Vienna. This was the last of the silk from Japan, 1942 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Important Link in the chain of Standard Oil, the Parkersburg plant of the Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey Covering 87 Acres. 1935

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Covering an area of 33 acres under roof is the Largest Rayon factory in the world the Parkersburg Plant the American Viscose co. they make " crown " brand Rayon the Viscose co was purchased in 1963 by FMC Corp closed there doors in 1974

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the two Plants in the World making Vitrolite. the Vitrolite Co. Was Acquired by the Libbey Owens Ford Co. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Corning Glass Parkersburg WV the Parkersburg plant of Corning Glass Works was originally built by the Defense Plant Corp. in 1942. it was Operated by Corning for the Manufacturing of Precision Optical Glass Products required for Military operations. after world war II Corning Glass Works purchased the Staunton Avenue facility and converted it for the production of laboratory glassware. physical expansion of the plant and the addition of a second glass tank in 1951 permitted introduction of glass industrial pipeline. that resulted in the Parkersburg plant becoming the world's largest producer of glass drain pipe for use in dairy chemical and other industries where durable, non-contaminating and rust free lines are needed. click the link below for history of corning glass 

HISTORY OF CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vitrolite Plant Vienna 1930 Meyercord Carter  Co. opened its Vitrolite plant near the river in 1908. The near by Imperial Canning Co. at 28th Street and River Road began operations in 1912. The Vitrolite plant, 2905 3rd Ave. ceased operations in 1950. Vitrolite an opaque structural glass, was used on table tops, store fronts, bathroom and kitchen walls. The Vitrolite plant was later transferred to Libbey - Owens - Ford, Johns Manville Corp. and Schuller International.

 Vitrolite is a trade name for structural pigmented glass, a popular building material during the first half of the 20th century. Vitrolite was a West Virginia product, Manufactured after 1908 by the Meyercord-Carter Company in Vienna, Wood County. The firm reorganized in 1910 as the Vitrolite Company, and the factory was fully completed in 1914. The company’s products became popular after a 1922 Washington exposition on Vitrolite. The glass giant Libbey-Owens-Ford bought the Vitrolite Company in 1935 and continued production until 1947.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Universal Glass Products Company produced glass bottles in the Parmaco Station area of Vienna. In the top photo, the sign on the fence states: "Thatcher, Superior Quality Milk Bottles."   

In the 1920-1940 period Universal primarily produced milk bottles. The late 50s saw a gradual change in product mix beginning with the manufacture of liquor bottles. In 1959 the Vienna bottle plant was purchased by Bernard L. Sachs. Ownership was subsequently handed down to Sachs's two sons and once again in the mid 1970s the company's name changed this time to National Bottle Manufacturing Co. They closed down 1986 the building demolished and a sams club was built

HISTORY UNIVERSAL - DIAMOND - GLASS CO

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spence, Smith & Kootz. The firm of Spence & Smith was organized in 1898, to deal in Second Hand Oil Well Supplies and Machinery, and is composed of  Mr. H. M. Spence and Mr. W. S. Smith' both gentlemen having been formerly engaged in the same line in Pennsylvania. Believing Parkersburg to be a point well adapted to their particular line of business, they came here in 1898, and after thoroughly investigating the locality formed a partnership. Their business was originally established to

deal in Second Hand Oil Well Material solely purchasing non productive wells, pulling out the casing, pipe, & and remarketing the same together with boilers, engines, and all material pertaining to an oil well. Each year their business increased not only in the West Virginia oil fields, but through out the different states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, and extending also into the different coal mining districts of the same states. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parkersburg Artificial Stone Company One of the new enterprises of Parkersburg that deserves more than passing mention is the Parkersburg Artificial Stone Company, which is located at the corner of Jeannette and George streets.

 The factory manufactures but one thing-artificial stone-made from concrete by a patent process, of sand and cement, and is produced at the rate of 600 square feet a day. A large stock is constantly kept on hand, usually about 20,000 feet, enough to build four or five moderate-size houses.

 Very few people realize the lasting qualities of concrete, but When it is remembered that concrete of substantially the same composition made 3,000 years ago is still well preserved, and shows no signs of crumbling or decay, while stone cut in the same period has crumbled into dust, some idea of the wonderful endurance of this material can be obtained. Impervious to heat or frost, hardening by exposure to the weather, never shrinking, cracking or warping, it is the best substance ever discovered for fire walls, and is the ideal building material, both for houses, and for foundations, chimneys, sustaining walls, colonial columns, trimmings, and many other purposes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

he Donovan Boiler Works Camden Ave South side 1924

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Boiler Made by the Donovan Boiler Works

 

 

BELOW IS THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE EMPLOYED BY THE PARKERSBURG INDUSTRIES IN 1935 

FIRM

MALE

FEMALE

TOTAL

PRODUCT

ACME FISHING TOOL COMPANY

21

2

23

OIL WELL EQUIPMENT

AMERICAN BREWING COMPANY

29

2

31

BEER

AMES BALDWIN WYOMING COMPANY

580

20

600

SHOVELS, GARDEN TOOLS

BALTIMORE &OHIO R. R.

558

2

560

 

BARRETT BAKING COMPANY

27

4

31

BREAD, ETC

BENTLEY & GERWIG

40

0

40

OFFICE FURNITURE

BROWN FENCE & WIRE COMPANY

27

4

31

FENCE & ROOFING COMPANY

BURNER LUMBER COMPANY

4

1

5

LUMBER

CHESAPEAKE & POTOMAC TELEPHONE COM.

24

71

95

 

CITIZENS COAL &CONCRETE COM.

20

0

20

COAL & BUILDING SUPPLIES

CITIZENS LUMBER COMPANY

6

0

6

LUMBER

COCA COLA BOTTLING COM.

24

2

26

COCA COLA

CROTTY & COMPANY

14

1

15

OIL & GAS WELL TOOLS

DONOVAN BOILER WORKS

4

1

5

OIL FIELD BOILERS &TANKS

EUREDA PIPE LINE COMPANY

23

0

23

PIPE LINES

FENTON ART GLASS (WILLIAMSTOWN)

160

15

175

GLASS, TABLEWARE, & NOVELITES

GREASLEY’S INC.

5

5

10

CANDY

GROSSMAN SHOE COMPANY INC.

120

80

200

LADY CORRECTIVE ARCH SHOES

HOME DAIRY

10

0

10

DAIRY PRODUCTS

HOPE NATURAL GAS COMPANY

34

1

35

GAS-PUBLIC UTILITY

IDEAL CORRUGATED BOX COMPANY

44

25

69

CORRUGATED FIBER BOXES

IMPERIAL ICE CREAM COMPANY

74

9

83

ICE CREAM

KANAWHA SAND & GRAVEL COMPANY

20

0

20

SAND & GRAVEL

KELLEYS FOUNDRY

7

0

7

CASTINGS

KESSELMAN & COMPANY

3

0

3

OIL & GAS TOOLS

KESTERSON ICE COMPANY

15

0

15

ICE

KNICKERBOCKER STAMPING COMPANY

38

2

40

ICE CANS & REFRIGERATING EQPMT.

KOOTZ & STOEHMAN MACHINE COMPANY

10

0

10

CASTING & OIL WELL PUMPING POWER

MONONGAHELA WEST PENN PUBLISHING

163

130

176

ELECTRIC LIGHT & POWER

MOUNTAIN STATE ENGRAVING COMPANY

4

0

4

ENGRAVING

MOUNTAIN STATE STEEL FOUNDRIES

53

2

55

ELECTRIC STEEL CASTINGS

NORTHRUP EQUIPMENT COMPANY

10

0

10

OIL WELL SUPPIES

OHIO SAND & GRAVEL COMPANY

27

3

30

SAND & GRAVEL

PARKERSBURG CREAMERY COMPANY

19

3

22

DAIRY PRODUCTS

PARKERSBURG CORRUGATED BOX CO.

16

7

23

CORRUGATED FIBER BOXES

PARKERSBURG ICE COMPANY

18

1

19

ICE

PARKERSBURG IRON & STEEL COMPANY

542

7

549

BLACK & GALVANIZED STEEL ROOFING & STOVE PIPE                   

PARKERSBURG MACHINE COMPANY

15

1

16

VALVES & PACKERS FOR OIL WELLS

PARKERSBURG MILL COMPANY

12

1

13

LUMBER AND MILL WORK

PARKERSUBRG NEWS

37

3

40

NEWSPAPER

PARKERSBURG RIG & REEL COMPANY

338

12

350

OIL AND GAS WELL EQUIPMENT

PARKERSBURG SENTINEL

32

11

43

NEWSPAPER

PARKERSBURG SILK MILL

35

215

250

SILK MILL

PEERLESS MILLING COMPANY

10

0

10

FLOUR AND FEED

PENN METAL COMPANY

58

2

60

METAL LATH

PORCELAIN PRODUCT, INC.

135

80

215

ELECTRICAL PORCELAIN

PURE ICE CREAM COMPANY

12

3

15

ICE CREAM

SMITH & BURROWS COMPANY

15

0

15

ROOFING AND SHEET METAL

SOUTH SIDE LUMBER COMPANY

8

0

18

LUMBER AND MILL WORKS

SPENCER MACHINE & SUPPLY COMPANY

2

0

2

OIL AND GAS WILL PUMPNG POWERS

STANDARD OIL COMPANY

178

0

178

OIL, GASOLINE

STORK BAKING COMPANY

59

11

70

BREAD, ETC.

UNION INSULATING COMPANY

48

24

72

ELECTRIC INSULATING

UNIVERSAL GLASS PRODUCTS COMPANY

48

24

72

ELECTRIC INSULATING

UNITED STATES QUARRY TILE COMPANY

80

30

110

FLOOR & WALL TILE

VISCOSE COMPANY

2600

1700

4300

RAYON YARN

VITROLITE COMPANY

196

4

200

VITROLITE

TOTAL

6731

2381

9112

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1890 Parkersburg WV Mail carriers standing - Armstrong Clegg - William Crolley - Sitting - John Dolan - Harry Hopkins

 

Early Fort Neal Post Office the first in South Parkersburg on the corner of Camden Ave & East Street. early 1950s

 

The Parkersburg Brewery Co. The first Parkersburg Brewery was built around Marrtown Road by Marcus Rapp in 1859. the Brewery was called the Rapp & Hebrank Brewery. a new brewery was built in 1896 at 648 7th st Parkersburg WV they changed the name to the Parkersburg Brewery. the Parkersburg Brewing co. see history    HEBRANK-RAPP - PARKERSBURG BREWERY HISTORY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE TERRAPIN PARK & CASINO. In 1898, Charles H. Shattuck, president of the Parkersburg Electric Power and Street Railway, decided to build a trolley park, a company-owned park along one of the streetcar lines to attract riders. Shattuck purchased land on the outskirts of Parkersburg at Dudley Avenue and Twenty-fifth Street and began construction of what he called Terrapin Park. Built in 1899, the Terrapin Park Casino was not a gambling casino as we use the term today, but a large multi-purpose building. The casino featured a cafe, cigar stand, and confectionery, but it was the 2,OOO-seat auditorium that drew the crowds. People stood in line to get tickets for plays, musical entertainment, vaudeville, and moving pictures plus performances by the Amazing Canadian Diving Elks and Dare Devil Jack.  

 THE TERRAPIN PARK PARKERSBURG WV

 

The Chancellor Hotel corner of Market  & 7 th Street was torn down in the 1970s was a parking lot for a long time. 

 

The Blennerhassett Hotel Around 1902  

 

The Chancellor Hotel 1935

 

Carnegie Public Library 1935

 

Monroe Hotel in the early 1900s it was torn down in the 1970s

 

The old Parkersburg City Building it housed the Police & Fire Departments it was torn down in 1980

 

Old Wood County Jail in 1890 it was Wood County Prison

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wood County Prison Parkersburg later known as Wood County Jail 1890

 

Wood County Courthouse

 

 

 Sherman Dils Second floor of his Motor Mart Ford Dealership early 1930s that was later known as the coliseum The Coliseum the Largest Ball Room in the state with 18,000 sq. feet of floor space. latter was a Skating Rink. 1935

HISTORY OF THE DILS FAMILY PARKERSBURG WV

 

Camden Clark or City Hospital 1935 

 

ST. Joseph's Hospital 1935

 

Greyhound bus 1935 In Front of the Chancellor Hotel  

 

Evans Motor Express 1935

 

 

SUMNER SCHOOL

In 1862 the Sumner School in Parkersburg was the first free School South of the Mason Dixon line for African American children. was founded by seven African American men to provide an Education for their children. 

EARLY SUMNER SCHOOL PARKERSBURG WV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Coliseum the Largest Ball Room in the state with 18,000 sq. feet of floor space. latter was a Skating Rink. 1935

 

 

The Lake in the Parkersburg City Park known as " The Lily Pond " is the second largest lily pond in the world.

 

 

THAT THE LARGEST RAYON FACTORY IN THE WORLD THE PARKERSBURG PLANT THE AMERICAN VISCOSE CO.

 THAT THE LARGEST SHOVEL PLANT IN THE WORLD PARKERSBURG AMES BALDWIN WYOMING CO SOUTH SIDE

THAT THE PARKERSBURG RIG & REEL CO. WAS THE LARGEST PLANT IN THE WORLD MANUFACTURING DERRICKS AND OTHER OIL FIELD EQUIPMENT.

 

WHEN THE B & O RAILROAD BRIDGE WAS BUILT ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER IN 1871 IT WAS 4397 FT LONG IT WAS 7140 FT LONG ACROSS PARTS OF PARKERSBURG & BELPRE OH. AT THAT TIME IT WAS THE LONGEST BRIDGE OF THAT TYPE IN THE WORLD. 

THAT IN PARKERSBURG WV THERE  POST OFFICE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST IN THE COUNTRY TO OFFER FREE CITY MAIL DELIVERY IN 1887

THAT FLOATING SOAP LATER SOLD TO PROCTOR & GAMBLE AS " IVORY " WAS DEVELOPED IN PARKERSBURG BY UPSON OIL & SOAP WORKS.

THAT VICTOR BLOEDE THE BALTIMORE CHEMIST THAT DEVELOPED THE ADHESIVE ON POSTAGE STAMPS BEGAN HIS CAREER IN PARKERSBURG.

  

THE FIRST HOSPITAL NURSING SCHOOL PROGRAM IN WEST VIRGINIA BEGAN ION PARKERSBURG AT CITY HOSPITAL ON MARCH 15, 1898. FIFTEEN YOUNG WOMEN ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM, WHICH INCLUDED CLASSES IN OBSTETRICS, ANATOMY, AND GENERAL NURSING. NINE OF THE ORIGINAL 15 ENROLLEES GRADUATED IN 1903

 

THAT IN PARKERSBURG IN 1862 WAS THE FIRST FREE SCHOOL SOUTH OF THE MASON DIXON LINE FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILDREN. WAS FOUNDED BY SEVEN AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN TO PROVIDE AN EDUCATION FOR THEIR CHILDREN.

THAT SINCE 1957 PARKERSBURG IS CALLED THE SAVINGS BOND CAPITAL OF AMERICA.   WHEN THE U. S. TREASURY DEPARTMENT'S BUREAU OF THE PUBLIC WAS MOVED HERE. IN 1957 ALL U. S. SAVINGS BOND'S BOUGHT GOES THROUGH PARKERSBURG. 

THAT THE COLISEUM WAS THE LARGEST BALL ROOM IN THE STATE WITH 18;000 SQ. FEET OF FLOOR SPACE. FOR CONVENTIONS AND DANCES. MANY OF THE FINEST ORCHESTRAS IN THE UNITED STATES HAVE PLAYED HERE.

THAT IN 1899 ABOUT THE 2500 BLOCK OF DUDLEY AVE. THE TERRAPIN PARK & CASINO. WAS BUILT THE $15,000 CASINO HAD A 2000 SEAT AUDITORIUM, DANCE HALL & BOWLING ALLEYS. IN SEPTEMBER 1917 IT WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE. 

THAT THE LAKE IN THE CITY PARK KNOWN AS " THE LILY POND " IS THE SECOND LARGEST LILY POND IN THE WORLD.

  WEST VIRGINIA'S FIRST OIL PIPELINE, FROM VOLCANO TO PARKERSBURG, IN 1879

THAT PARKERSBURG HAD THE LARGEST BARREL FACTORY IN THE WEST

Parkersburg has the Largest Barrel Factory In the West

 

© COPYRIGHT 1997-2014 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR